The name of Bowdler is an old one. But where did it originate? And how did it spread across the world as it does today? The purpose of this One-Name Study (ONS) is to try and answer these questions and trace the journey of the Bowdler family through history.
My One-Name Study is therefore a project researching all occurrences of the Bowdler surname, not just my own pedigree. I am adopting a worldwide approach, though all Bowdler families I’ve met so far across the world do originate from the UK.
The objectives of my Bowdler One-Name Study are:
- To represent the family and manage the Bowdler One-Name Study with the Guild of One-Name Studies
- Research all occurrences of the Bowdler surname and attempt to link the family lines
- Assist other Bowdlers in researching their genealogy
- Use DNA testing to establish family links and prove/disprove whether Bowdler lines have a common ancestor
- Research early Bowdlers to trace the family origin
If anyone has information on the Bowdler surname I would love to hear it, equally if you have questions I am happy to share my knowledge so please contact me.
Member of the
Guild of One-Name Studies
Membership Number 6568